Thursday, June 16, 2016

Arrived in Portland

I have decided to write a blog of my experience at GA 222.  I will try to give everyone a sense of what GA is like, as well as inform about what I'm working on, the activities surrounding GA and, of course, the issues before the assembly.  So, here goes...

Left home at 4 AM to travel to Portland, where it is cool with scattered showers.  I came a day early because I wanted to have a day to do some sightseeing.  Tomorrow I am taking a tour to the Columbia River Gorge and Mt. Hood.  Unfortunately there is an 80% chance of rain.  One of the volunteers here at the hotel said they have had snow on Mt. Hood recently so to plan for warm clothes for that!

The volunteers have been great so far.  Several were at the airport to meet GA attendees.  I was given a week-long pass to ride the light rail.  I boarded at the airport and was dropped off at the convention center, which is just across the street from my hotel, the Hotel Eastlund.  The hotel is very modern as they totally renovated a building with all the latest hotel conveniences and youngish modern decor.

I also walked to the convention center where many people were busy getting the Plenary and exhibit halls set up.  It was good to get a sense for where I will spending many hours this week.

Here is a photo of a Foucault's Pendulum in the lobby of the convention center.




No comments:

Post a Comment